Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cancer: One damned thing after the other.

Are you ready.

I promised when I began my blog that I wouldn't turn it into a pottage of 'poor me' soup. I wanted it to help others.  I'm not sure if this is any help or not, but I will write it anyway.

As I sit here, looking out over the Rocky Mountains - I carry what may well be the heaviest burden I have known for years.

My cancer is in my lungs and at the time of my last posting it was growing.

Everything I read says that people who feel cheerful and positive live longer. You hear that all the time. Even my oncologist tells me that. But, life doesn't sit on the back burner as you deal with heavy issues.

I wrote yesterday of my friend Vince who passed away.  Today it gets worse.

After writing about Vince, I phoned my dear friend Guenter.  We both learned that we had cancer, at my daughter's home after a Christmas dinner, 5 years ago.  We both, unknowing of each other's situation planned to share the news with our family.

Guenter and I supported one another. We provided one another with a psychological cane.  We leaned on each other's shoulder.

After writing yesterdays posting - I phoned Guenter to encourage him.  His wife told me that Guenter is failing fast.  He is weak and bedridden.

Its hard to be positive when your best friends fall around you.  Its like being on a battle front.

Let me add this, for you readers of my blog.  I said that Guenter and I both learned of our illnesses at approximately the same time and we both told one another on the same night.  I'm still here and feeling physically healthy. I am entering a new phase in my personal treatment which I will share before long. The tumours in my lungs are relatively small. My battle continues.  Guenter and I made certain individual choices about what routes we would take.  I wonder if Guenter would be better today had he followed my path?

My journey continues and it appears that his is ending.

Dear readers....when the world about you is dark and heavy, and when life seems impossible - never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Regretably, some companies and some people just don't get it. This blog does not accept spam links - no matter who they are from or how well intentioned they may be. If you want to be considered for me publishing your links, then send me an email. Otherwise don't bother.