Friday, December 30, 2011

And with that my oncologist said......."Your low blood cell counts are normal...for you."

I sat in front of my oncologist.  He sat quietly, looking at the results of my latest blood test.  I asked if I could see them, and he passed the print out over to me.  My eyes swept down the page, and I felt that sinking feeling.  My lymphocyte and my neutrophil scores were not good.  For that matter, my lymphocyte count was bloody scary.

Lets get it straight. I'm no hemotologist and I don't pretend to have it all together when I read my blood counts.  But, I am curious and I like to know what is happening and I take note of my numbers.

A normal neutrophil count runs  between 1 and 6.  Mine was a little over 2 and even more frightening was my plummeting lymphocyte count. It was hovering a little above zero.  These are big gun blood cells which fight infections and the lymphocyte T cells are little tigers that roam the blood system looking for cancer cells to attack.  Not just that, but when the lymphocyte count hits zero...it becomes a tough fight against pneumonia and other infectious enemies. And, I have been noticing that it was getting tougher all the time for me to shake the common cold. 

With that I asked my oncologist..."What can I do to improve these numbers?"  His comment. "Nothing" Blood cell counts go up and down and these are your normals."

My normals be damned.

I was angry and frustrated.  What disturbed me was a friend who recently died of cancer, told me "these are your normals" was a pat line that he was repeatedly given in the last years prior to his death.

I went home and turned on my computer, with the determination that if I wanted to get anywhere in this fight, I would have to take greater personal responsibility.

Three months later my neutrophil count improved by about 20% and had moved into the mid normal range and my lymphocyte count improved by 100% and was nearing the low normal level. I will tell you more this turnabout in a future posting.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Regretably, some companies and some people just don't get it. This blog does not accept spam links - no matter who they are from or how well intentioned they may be. If you want to be considered for me publishing your links, then send me an email. Otherwise don't bother.