Monday, August 27, 2012

I Lost my Friend to Cancer on Saturday

Guenter and I walked together through this terrible illness. We were like two old soldiers, leaning on one another supported by crutches, as we made our way along the muddy road,  coming back from the battlefront.  We would encourage one another and share advice on how we might recover from our injuries. He had a bloodied cloth wrapped around his head from where he had been operated on, in the makeshift battlefield hospital tent and I coughed a lot.  We were a bloodied sight to see.

I knew he was going, but yet I didn't know.  The disturbing dream came two weeks ago around the time he began to lose his grip on life. I felt psychologically stripped down after it..  My wife looked at me one day and said...."You're giving up aren't you?" I felt like it. I felt terribly alone.

The phone call came a few hours ago.

Strange how it goes.  While I felt an immediate sense of loss, I also felt a sense of relief, for Guenter's suffering was over.

I thought of Jack Layton, writing these words, as he felt his life force slipping away.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

Guenter changed my world.

Thank you Guenter for letting me lean on you, as we hobbled  along together on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Regretably, some companies and some people just don't get it. This blog does not accept spam links - no matter who they are from or how well intentioned they may be. If you want to be considered for me publishing your links, then send me an email. Otherwise don't bother.